Saturday, June 12, 2010

Paris (Day 3), Bern, and Interlocken

Waking up Day 3 in Paris was great... no alarms!!! We slept in, had a slow morning (Crepes and Starbucks!), and then: The Catacombs!!!!

This place was SO cool. I was all freaked out walking down there, but after a few minutes I just pretended I was Nancy Drew... then the Goonies... then Indy. it was amazing how many bones there were. There were walls of longer bones with designs made out of skulls!

That night we bought food to cook and went back to the hostel. We wound up cooking Chicken, Mushroom sauce, pasta/rice, veggies, and had bread. mmmmm! While cooking we met Ben (from Canada, living in Ireland, vacationing in Paris) and Kristen (from Australia). They were both lots of fun to hang out with!

Ben wound up coming out with us later that night to the Eiffel Tower. Every hour, on the hour, the tower sparkles! It really was magical!! We got back pretty late and I was really tired (hence no pictures that night - sorry bout that!).

The next morning we were out of the hostel SOOO early to catch a long train to Bern. We got to the train station to find that all the morning trains were booked and we had to wait til 1:15. Great! We sat around in the train station reading and went to lunch at this cute little cafe. Honestly, that might have been the best burger I've had in my life!

When we finally got on the train, it was SO hot. We all started not feeling well from the heat! That train was 4 hours long, then we had two connections that were about an hour and a half total. Ick!!

In bern, we checked into our hostel (a pretty nice place) then went out on the town in search of food. We walked through this park with HUGE chess boards everywhere! The town was hopping with people. We ate at an "American" themed place. I say "American" because it was actually Mexican, but I suppose it's all North America!

Everything in Switzerland is sooo expensive. We found out that it's because all their taxes are on food and stuff but they dont need to pay other taxes? I dont know exactly.... something like that!

Unfortunately, since the train fiasco happend that morning, we didn't really get to see much of Bern. It's a shame, since it seemed like a nice place. It was good to see what we did though!

This morning we caught the less-than-an-hour train ride to Interlaken. LOVE it here! Our hostel room is really cool (6 person room to ourselves plus our own bathroom) and we had lots of time on our hands today.

We wound up going to Harder Kulm, a nearby mountain. We took this really cool Funicular railway up the mountain a bit. There's a restaurant up there and a path to go hiking. Well, we went hiking... all the way up the mountain! And yes, I was in a sun dress today. Smart! By the time we got near the top, my knee was hurting a LOT, so I didn't do the super steep trail (or climb up the dangerously steep slope that Pat and Jen did). I had an amazing view from where I was though, and my knee held out for as long as it did, so I'm happy!!

I'm not too sure what we'll be doing tonight, but Jen, Dave, and Pat are getting food right now (bringing me back some so that I can rest my knee a bit). We might watch some of the world cup tonight down at the bar in our hostel. It's such a big thing here that we're kind of getting into it! I know... Americans... into professional futbol (soccer)?!? That doesn't make sense! For those of you wondering, today we play England. USA all the way!

Anywho, I'm gonna attempt to upload pics for y'all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment