Saturday, June 26, 2010

Prague

So much to update you on yet again! Sorry I've been bad with blogging... I've been so busy and the trip is wearing me out at this point! I'm tired! Lol.

Ok so: Prague. Loooved Prague! Despite the fact trhat we didn't know even the teesiest bit of the language here, we had a blast. Even our hostel was awesome: Kudos, Sir Toby's!!!

We went to Old Town Square to meet up with our New Europe tour. We got so Czech history from tour guide Huw while there. Prague is really interesting because the arcitecture there is so varied: not much was destroyed by the world wars, so you've got your really old buildings right next to your fairly new buildings.

All of the movie Eurotrip was filmed in Prague because of this varied architecture. It was funny... The tour guide kept saying things like, "this is the louvre. Well, it was passed off as the louvre in the movie..." Haha.

We saw some cool things like the only theatre remaining that mozart performed in, the old new synagogue (according to legend, a golem apparently still lives in the attic), the cubism cafe, charles bridge, powder tower (used to store gun powder), and the old jewish quarter. In this last area we saw the cemetary, where the ground level is at least 10 feet higher than it should be: the Jewish people weren't alotted any more land, so they had to stack the graves. The ground is so uneven here. It was really sad.

On charles bridge there's this statue that you touch: right side for good luck, left side for bad (another version goes right side for love, left for kids... Haha).
We saw the clock tower in town go off. That was realllly cool. I mean, it didn't do much, but considering how old it is and how its the oldest working machine in the world, it was awesome! Maybe that's just the MST dork in me. Who knows haha.

That night Dave, Jen, and I went on a pub crawl. The next day it was off to germany!!!

1 comment:

  1. So I guess the clock tower never got struck by lightning! Miss you. Miss you. Miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete